Nasal obstruction is a symptom of an underlying disorder that causes the nasal passages to be blocked or obstructed.
What is nasal obstruction?
Nasal obstruction is the blockage of nasal breathing in addition to foreign objects in the nose. Nasal obstruction characterized by insufficient airflow through the nose. It can affect one or both the nostrils. It can severely affect one’s quality of life by impacting his or her comfort breathing.
When irritated by allergies and dust, they swell and can cause breathing difficulties. Adenoids are small patches of tissue that keep foreign particles from entering your body via your nasal cavity. They’re right above your tonsils and, when enlarged, can cause nasal passage blockage and breathing difficulties.
Congenital defect leads to excess tissue in the nasal airway, which results in breathing difficulties. The nasal cavity can be blocked by several causes including:
- Colds and flus
- Chronic sinusitis
- Infections of the sinuses and or adenoids
- Allergic rhinitis is an inflammation that occurs in the lining of the nasal cavity
- Large/swollen turbinates
- Adenoid hypertrophy, or enlarged adenoids
- Nasal polyps are tissue growths in the lining of the nose
- Abnormalities in the normal anatomy of the nose
- Nasal cysts or tumors
- Deviated nasal septum, a condition present at birth, when the bone in the nose is crooked due to injury or malformation. A deviated septum occurs when the nasal septum between your nasal passages is displaced to one side. In many people, the nasal septum is deviated, making one nasal passage smaller.
- Environmental irritants, such as smoke or dust
- Injury to the nose
Symptoms of Nasal Obstruction
- Decrease in Air flow in the nose because of a blockage of the nasal cavity. Inability or decreased ability to breathe through one side or both sides their nose
- A feeling of pressure or congestion in your nasal passages
- Dry mouth, due to chronic mouth breathing, most of the time,
- Nasal congestion can interfere with hearing and speech
- Inability to smell
- Difficulty sleeping, breathing through the mouth, snoring, and frequent runny nose, preference for sleeping on a particular side
- Stuffy, full feeling in the nose, sinuses or head
- Awareness of the nasal cycle
Diagnosing Nose Obstruction
Acupuncture pulse diagnosis can help us find out any illness or the causes of a problem, including nasal obstruction.
Acupuncture Treatment for Nasal Obstruction
The first step in nasal obstruction treatment is getting the symptoms under control by reducing inflammation.